Friday, August 3, 2012

"That's Not How Mommy Does It!"

 
Today, we have a Q & A with Jesse Lee, an author of a new children's book, titled "That's Not How Mommy Does it!"  Please note, I am only posting this because I genuinely enjoyed the book and think you will too, probably because I can relate too well!  I have only received a soft-copy of this book and no other compensation for posting this Q&A.  The book is scheduled for release on August 15th.
 
Q: How do you get into Children's Book Writing?

A: For the last 5 or so years I had been writing content for businesses. In those years I had two kids. As they grew older I would tell them bedtime stories. Some were from memory and others I would read. Then I started getting ideas for my own stories. Then when they started doing or saying funny things  (especially my 5 year old), I would step back and see the humor of what they were doing or saying. Then, I would think to myself "this would make a funny children's book."

Q: Is that how you came up with the idea for your new book, 'That's Not How Mommy Does It!'?

A: Yes. One morning when my daughter woke up sick and her mom had to go out for the day It fell  to me to take care of her. More than a few of the funny things that happen in the book came directly from that day. And that is when she first told me that what I was doing was not the way Mommy does it. I think that I had the first rough draft for the book within 2 hours of her saying it.

Q: Why would our Dads want to read this book?

A: It is written by a dad for dads. I believe that the story captures the frustration that dads can feel when they are trying to pitch in and take proper care of their kids but, there always seems to be that shadow of mom. As dads, we are sometimes self-conscience as to whether we have the ability to take care of our kids the way moms do seemingly by instinct. And even when we are feeling good about the way we handled a situation... our kids know just how to crush our confidence by saying things like, "That's not how Mommy does it."

Q: How will 'That's Not How Mommy Does it' be made available?

A: It will be available in physical book form through Amazon.com as well as available for Kindle. It can also be purchased directly from our publisher website: www.BuddyLeeBooks.co. You will also be able to get the iPad version through the iBookstore and it will be available for Nook on B&N.com.
After that we are going to add it to some Indie online bookstores. 

Q: You are the Author and the Publisher for this Book?

A: That is correct. I have a perpetuity to take on the status quo. I think that this mentality is typical in a 'work-from-home-dad'. We tend to do things in a way that is out of the norm. So, that mentality coupled with impatience caused me to make the decision to start my own Indie Publishing House.