Thursday, January 27, 2011

Valentine's Day Ideas for Your Wife

Rosesphoto © 2006 Rebecca Partington | more info (via: Wylio) If I've learned nothing else from my marriage, I've learned this: Valentines day is still important after marriage. Men often go all out for their girlfriends or women they may be trying to convince to be their girlfriends, but some men forget the basics after they get married. Make Valentine's Day special for your wife!

So how do you do that?

When I asked my wife about what we should do for this upcoming Valentine's Day, she said "nothing, we have no time, money, or sleep!" While all of this is true, I'm pretty sure I can come up with something she will love! No matter your circumstances or situation, you know your wife and I'm confident you can make her feel special, at least for one day!

Here's a few Valentines Day tips and ideas -

  • Consider the Classics - Flowers, chocolates, a card, etc. are all Valentine's Day staples.  So, if you do nothing else, at very least consider the classics.  All her girlfriends will have them, so you don't want to miss the boat here!
  • Dining Options - I don't know the statistics, but judging from the lines I've seen at Olive Garden on Valentines day, it's got to be one of the busiest days to dine out.  Perhaps cook her dinner this year and enjoy a evening in, or better yet, make it together.  Cooking together can be a great bonding activity!
  • Spread it Throughout the Day - To make this day truly special it needs to be more then a couple hours in the evening.  Why not do things all day to show her love?!? You could leave her notes, call her to express your love, make breakfast, have flowers delivered to home or her place of work... the possibilities are endless!
  • Get the Kids Involved - When I posed the question of how to make Valentine's day special for your wife on Twitter, I got a great response from @SheilaGregoire, who said "Make sure, dad, to get your kids to make presents!" You can show your love for her, by helping your kids show their love for her. 
  • Surprises - In another response to my Twitter inquiry, @PlayfulJourney, said "We trade years in the planning. Each year is a surprise to the other one."  I love this! I love the idea of Surprises in marriage, because surprises mean that you are actively planning and thinking of ways to show her a good time. Surprises take a fair amount of effort and that's why they are so great!
What ever you decide to do for your wife this Valentine's day, just make an effort! It will be recognized and appreciated.  I am not too creative, so if you don't know what do to for your wife, just ask yourself "What would I do for my wife on Valentine's Day if we were still dating? and go do that!

Good Luck and Happy Valentine's Day!