Monday, July 23, 2012

Be a Better Father: Examples from Hollywood


One of my favorite movies is John Q.  As I was having dental work done recently, I was watching The Pursuit of Happyness and realized how much I love that movie as well.  Then it dawned on me.  I like those movies because they both center around a dedicated and loving father.

John Q -



If you have not seen John Q, stop reading this and go do it. Denzel Washington stars in this movie and he plays a father with a sick son, who is in need of a heart transplant.  Due to issues with his employment status and his insurance coverage he cannot afford the surgery and the hospital refuses to put his son's name on the Heart transplant list.  I love how determined this father is to ensure his son lives - he holds fundraisers and sells all he has, but it still isn't enough.  He still does not give up.  He then resorts to hijacking the hospital and even attempts to take his own life so his son can have his heart.  While this is certainly not recommended, I LOVE his dedication and perseverance to take care of his family.  How many of us would have given up long before that?

Pursuit of Happyness - 
 

In this movie, a down and out family is struggling to pay their bills.  The father, Chris Garnder (Will Smith), works tirelessly to try to provide for his son. Even after his wife leaves him and he becomes homeless, everything he does is to protect and provide for his son.  For me, it makes me think - Am I giving 110% to provide for my family and my sons? If I faced this same situation, would I have the strength and dedication to go to such extreme measure to provide for my family?

Rarely does Hollywood portray powerful, dedicated (or even adequate) fathers.  This time they got it right.  Watch these movies and see two great examples of how to be a great Father.