Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Being a Better Father... of 2


As you might have guessed life has been crazy, and I haven't been posting nearly as much as I have wanted to. Those of you with more then one child might understand why.  When my 2nd son was born in the beginning of January, my world got turned upside down and my wife and I have been in survival mode ever since.

I knew that having baby #2 was going to be challenging, but its a challenge you just can't understand unless you have experienced it. I'm sure we'd all like to think we've had it harder than the next guy, but dealing with his prematurity (he was a late-term preemie, 35 weeks, but preemie nonetheless), reflux, hernia surgery, thrush, and lack of sleep has been very difficult. In fact, my wife reminded me yesterday that last week was the first week since he was born that we have not been to see his doctor (he is 8 weeks old).

Despite the challenges I have learned a lot.  Here are some things I have learned as I have been trying to figure our how to be a dad to 2:

  • I have a lot to learn about being a Father. Each day brings new challenges, opportunities, and questions. When I am looking fastball, I get thrown a curve ball. There will be a lot to learn as my children grow, but I am looking forward to it!
  • I need to be a Better Father.  There are things each day where I think to myself, "I could have done that better."
  • Sleep is important for your health.  I have been sick 3 times in the past 2 weeks.  Sleep when you can, because it's easier to be a dad when you feeling good!
  • I couldn't do it without an awesome wife and mother by my side. Every day I gain more and more respect for single parents.  Parenting is a tough job and am glad my wife is here to support me and help me through it.
  • Four is a Family. It might seem odd, but when we had one child, it always felt like my wife and I were a couple with a baby.  Now it feels like we are a family of 4. I can't really explain it, but it feels different.. and I like it!
  • Being a Father is the best job in the world. It's tough, but I love it.  During the fleeting moments when I get to cuddle with both of them at the same time, it is one of the best feeling in the world!
I will try to post more consistently again, but I promised myself a long time ago that blogging about being a better husband and father would not get in the way of actually BEING a  better husband and father, so we'll see!